Addis Ababa keeps a number of stunning public parks nestled both in the outskirts and center part of the city.
- Unity Park: The newly opened boutique park within the Grand National palace of Ethiopia is initiated by PM Abiy Ahmed (PhD). The construction and establishment of the park were started in 2018 and officially inaugurated and opened to the public on October 10/ 2019. Visiting the park gives myriad of options to visit which ranges from the black manned Ethiopian lion zoo to the banquet hall of Emperor Menelik ll the founder of the palace, from the throne hall to gesturing the ostrich and unity zoo which keeps Meerkat, Aquarium, Peacocks, Cheetah, White Lions, and Wild dogs, Gelada Baboons, Aviary and Safari. Apart from that, the park boasts a pavilion dedicated to the various people and ethnic groups of Ethiopia. One can learn the highlight of Ethiopian history to the present time with an electronic display within the banquet hall. https://unitypark.et/
- Shger/ Friendship/ Park: Part of the 58 kilometers long Entoto-Akaki Riverside Beautification project of Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed, Shger Park is found in front of Sheraton Addis Hotel. The newly exuberant park is part of making Addis Ababa an urban tourism site by rehabilitating water bodies. The park comprises cultural centers, an art gallery, and places of Science and technology, cafeterias, etc. The park which perched in the center of Addis Ababa makes it easily accessible from every corner of Addis Ababa.
- Entoto Park: Initiated by the prime minister of Ethiopia like Unity Park, Entoto Park was inaugurated and opened to visitors by 30th of September 2020. A place which once only the flocking spot of laities to Entoto Maryam Zion church and Ethiopia’s legend long-distance runner for training has now turned to an ideal weekend retreat and day out. The mountain which called to be ‘the lung of Addis Ababa’ is covered with lush eucalyptus forest. The forest which stays paltry of use now turned to a mesmerizing park with a bounty of services and activities. The multi-purpose park contains indoor and outdoor facilities built mostly with local materials. It is equipped with various facilities like cafes, restaurants, horseback riding, spas, artificial lake, go-kart, biking, library, and cinema as well as sports centers. Visitors can have a taste of authentic Ethiopian coffee at the park served by major brands in the country such as Kaldis’ and Tomoca. Pioneering Ethiopian resorts Kuriftu has also a charming capacious restaurant. Art galleries and children’s playing grounds are also available.
What to See?
- Unity Park: Unity park now keeps important wild animals and bird species. Within the zoo, you can see black-maned lion, ostrich, Meerkat, Aquarium, Peacocks, Cheetah, White Lions, and Wild dogs, Gelada Baboons, Aviary. See the pavilion dedicated to the various people and ethnic groups of Ethiopia. The electronic display will help you to understand Ethiopian history better.
- Shger/ Friendship/ Park: The park comprises cultural centers, an art gallery, and places of Science and technology, cafeterias, etc.
- Entoto park: This is the place to see the capital Addis Ababa from the top of a mountain. The park keeps an important eucalyptus forest. The indoor and outdoor facilities built mostly with local materials. It is equipped with various facilities like cafes, restaurants, horseback riding, spas, artificial lake, go-kart, biking, library, and cinema as well as sports centers. Visit the branded coffee shops and art galleries within the park
Practical information before your trip to
Entoto park can be accessed with a private rented taxi or with a private tour company car. As Unity and sheger park is found in the center of the city, you can also use public buses or taxis.
Guides are available in each park to take you around within the parks.
Addis Ababa is the 3rd meeting center in the world. There are dozens of accommodations according to your options.